Mechanical Engineer (Baltimore, MD)
FSi Engineers is seeking a mechanical engineer with 5-15 years of experience to be an integral part of our team of designers, engineers, and project managers to innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place.
We are an experienced MEP engineering firm that develops building mechanical systems to meet our clients’ unique needs and building functions. Our work is challenging, interesting and not cookie-cutter. We work with and have earned the trust of agencies across the country since 1985. Our projects include work in schools and colleges, wineries, and food production, industrial, aerospace, healthcare, life sciences, and transit facilities. We have a long history of identifying energy saving opportunities which gave us an early entry into design of high-performing buildings, LEED, and Living Building projects. We continue push the envelope on sustainability and decarbonization.
FSi Engineers encourages applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to workforce diversity, fostering and furthering a culture of inclusion, and creating equity across our organization. We are committed to equity and holding ourselves accountable for being inclusive and affirming to people of all backgrounds. We are better and stronger together because of the diverse perspectives we have here at FSi. We know that bringing diverse cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives together drives innovation and creates a culture of creativity and respect.
- Flexible working hours/hybrid work model
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunity
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance for employee and dependents
- Inclusive paid holidays
- Paid vacation and sick pay
- Paid community service days
- 401k retirement plan with company match
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- Educational fees assistance
Education and Experience
- 5-15 years of mechanical, plumbing, or related experience (equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, CAD, and/or Revit a plus
- BS or higher from an accredited course of study in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- PE a plus
We recognize that education is important but also understand that experience can be equally important. We consider a combination of education and experience and encourage individuals of all levels of education/experience to apply.
- Conduct business in a respectful and productive manner and show a strong ability to work with people from all backgrounds
- Handle production support needs in a timely fashion so that the team continues to operate and meet goals
- Foster good working relationships with co-workers, clients, and industry partners
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required of a Mechanical Engineer/Designer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Roles and Expectations
(other duties may be assigned)
- Meet project milestones with excellent design and documentation.
- Work within the allotted hours for your tasks. Keep others under your supervision within their allotted hours for their tasks.
- Achieve your target utilization rates (proper ratio of billable to non-billable work) by actively seeking billable work and non-billable tasks.
- If you see a need for improvement in a process or system, be proactive about seeking out appropriate non-billable tasks to make the improvement.
- Maintain efficiency by looking ahead, seeing big picture, and planning your work
- Effectively estimate and convey to your leader the resources you need to do your assigned tasks, including your time, drafting and support time, and reviewer’s time. Continue to refine your estimation skills.
- Help us exceed our clients’ expectations.
- Have courteous, helpful, and responsive interactions with clients. Create and develop relationships with clients and stakeholders inside clients’ organizations.
- Create and develop ongoing relationships with other consultants. Keep or turn them into strong FSi supporters and promoters.
- Effectively coordinate your work with others in the office, with our subconsultants, with our client, and with the owner.
- Follow and improve company standards and protocols. Gracefully request and incorporate peer review of projects, and meet the requests of accounting, administrative, and marketing staff.
- Develop a client list and check-in on a regular basis. Keep your eyes open for potential new clients
- Push yourself to grow and develop
- Maintain a positive attitude and help others to maintain theirs
- Have breakdowns, recognize them, and start cleaning them up effectively.
- Acknowledge others for their contributions, and give feedback to co-workers.
- Take on other responsibilities as assigned (or as self-assigned)
To apply, please e-mail your cover letter and resume here.
FSi is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal opportunities for employment and comply with all applicable laws. We explicitly prohibit any offensive behavior and we do not discriminate on the basis of any status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We base all employment decisions on merit, competence, skills, qualifications, performance, improvement, and business needs. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment against any employee, leader, or those we work with based on non-work related personal characteristics including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, national origin, ethnic origin, social origin, family or marital status, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran’s status, military service, or any other classification protected by law.